CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 14, 2008

Kaylea Is Our Star!

This morning on the way to school Kaylea and I were having our normal little chit chat. It was about everything and nothing all at the same time. Suddenly, out of nowhere, she asks, "Mom, why is Pluto not a planet, anymore?"

Well, to be quite honest, I haven't kept up-to-date on the latest news in the astrological society, so I incorrectly told her I told her, "I think the scientist discovered that Pluto is really a star instead of a planet." Frankly, I don't feel quite so bad for being confused on this one, though. Especially after Googling it and finding that scientists can't even agree on what Pluto is. Anyway, because I hadn't had my cup of coffee yet AND I'm still feeling the effects of all of the flu medications, I told her she should go to the library and check out a book and we could see the difference between a star and a planet. (hmm...good research opportunity for her and little thinking for me). Well, Kaylea replied in one of her normal little quippy tones, "Mom, I don't need to look that up. I know the difference between a planet and a star. A planet is ROUND and a star is POINTY."

Now, I know I shouldn't laugh at my child, but this one about made me bust a gutt. I told her that a drawing of a star looked quite different than a "real" star. She was insistent that I was wrong. She even got a piece of paper out and drew me several stars just to show that she knew what one looked like. So, in an effort to get her to think this one through (yes, we have to do this a lot) I asked her, "well, if the stars in space have 5 points, like you are drawing, then why do they just look like little round lights in the sky?" I could tell by the proud smile on her face that she didn't think she needed to think this one through and she already had an answer for that question. She replied, "Because the stars are so far away in space you can't see there points from Earth." DOINK!







So, yes my friends, in your world the stars look like this:





But, in Kaylea's world they will always look like this:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pointy like the top of her head? Or pointy like the finger she points at us when she says that we're the nerdy ones? Hmmm, dilemma dilemma.

OBTW - Has Jeebus called to chat with you about their discussion on Wednesday yet? Because I'm sure she talked to him before handbells, because, you know, that's what I told her to do.

Pappy & Grammy said...

Kaylea is our STAR no matter what shape she likes her stars to be!!

Love ya Punkin!!